13 - 06 - 2016 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Monday, June 13, 2016
Year: 
2016
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee June 13, 2016 9:00 am – 12:00 noon

Wilfrid Laurier University, Library Instruction Room, L3-314

Present: Gohar Ashoughian (Chair), Tamara Hundt, Sharon Lamont, Lisa Maenpaa, Barb McDonald, Randy Oldham, Ron Ward, Kevin Zavitz, Carolyn Vincent (Recorder)

TUG Projects and Cost Share Reports Review

TUG Annex – Kevin Zavitz

Overall, there was an end of year surplus of $29,780. The budget for 2016/2017 is $471,000

They continue to budget for the replacement of two overhead heating units due to the age of the units.

There are no large expenses in general expenses, however there is an increased cost for added personnel.

The City of Guelph charges us municipal property tax for the Annex because the land generates revenue. We are paying $7530 for this year. The contract expires this summer and they are currently in negotiations with Guelph Infinity Nissan to renew the contract.

TUG Exec agreed approving the budget in principle and putting it on hold until Kevin provides further information regarding salary changes and shelving costs.

Action:

  • Kevin Zavitz will provide TUG Exec with more information regarding salary changes and shelving costs
  • Kevin Zavitz will check with Scott Gillies regarding upcoming Annex projects and send an update to TUG Exec

Statistics and Reports – Ron Ward

They are in the process of converting Cognos 7 reports to Cognos 10 reports and it is estimated that it will take another 6 months to complete Phase 1.

Normal operating expenses are anticipated. A consultant will be brought in for 5 days training to address roadblocks. IST at UW has 6 days of training and, if Newcomp allows, they can transfer. IST at UW will continue to provide support.

They will be looking at some training for creating Cubes in Cognos 10.

TUG Exec approved the budget as presented.

TRELLIS & Primo – Randy Oldham

The infrastructure hardware is getting old with Voyager and if we don’t move ahead there will be significant expenses to replace it. There are ongoing slowness issues but no picture of pending physical failure. More money might need to be budgeted but at this time it is not known how much due to the number of unknowns with the costing structure through OCUL.

TUG Exec will wait to approve the budget until Randy provides an updated budget document.

Action: Randy Oldham will prepare an updated budget document for TUG Exec to review.

Review and Approval of the Minutes of March 8th, 2016

The minutes were accepted as written.

Business Arising

  1. TUG Exec Requested the pricing info for Alma received at ELUNA
    Action: Barb McDonald will provide the pricing info for Alma.
  2. Shelving was to be cost shared as part of the Annex. The cost was anticipated to be $12,000. TUG Exec agreed to cost share the amount.
    Action: Barb McDonald will provide the exact cost of the Annex shelving.

Update From Joint TOIT/TOIT Steering Committee (June 8, 2016)

The AULs met to finalise/move on the report with recommendations for TUG committees and governance.

TUG Exec approved the Terms of Reference for the TUG Operations and Infrastructure Team (TOIT). Randy Oldham will chair TOIT.

Next steps: TOIT Steering Committee (Chaired by Gord Bertrand)

  • Develop a TOIT Steering Committee Terms of Reference
  • Update TUG Organizational Overview document – by August 31, 2016
  • Implement the updates/changes over the summer

TUG Exec agreed to the benefit of amalgamating all TUG staff mailing lists into one list

Action:

  • Barb McDonald will prepare a TUG Exec response to be sent to TOIT Steering Committee (and Randy Oldham)
  • Gohar Ashoughian will send an email to TUGSTAFF re: TUG Committees & Governance

Collaborative Futures – Notes from OCUL Director’s Meeting and TUG Context

OCUL has undertaken the development of a shared vision of the future of library management systems in Ontario’s academic libraries.

Phase 3 will fully engage the participating libraries in the activities to acquire a shared library services platform, plan for data migrations, implement new work flows and prepare for live participation.

TUG Exec agreed that the three institutions need to think together about how we prepare and what we want from this new system. The costing structure through OCUL is not known at this time. Some other institutions will go first and TUG should think about not necessarily going first and see how it goes for the first group.

TUG Cataloguing Policy

TUG Exec agreed that there is no shared understanding of the TUG Cataloguing Policy.

Action: TUG Exec will ask the TOIT Steering Committee to explore the TUG Cataloguing Policy. It was suggested that Cataloguing start by compiling inventory of existing cataloguing policies and the TOIT Steering Committee work with Cataloguing to find a resolution and establish shared understanding of policies.

Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

TUG Exec approved the addition of a new, small collection at UW. (The GLOW Centre of Waterloo has a collection of about 450 monographs.)

Action Item Summary

  • Kevin Zavitz will provide TUG Exec with more information regarding salary changes and shelving costs
  • Kevin Zavitz will check with Scott Gillies regarding upcoming Annex projects and send an update to TUG Exec
  • Randy Oldham will prepare an updated budget document for TUG Exec to review
  • Barb McDonald will provide the pricing info for Alma
  • Barb McDonald will provide the exact cost of the Annex shelving
  • Barb McDonald will prepare a TUG Exec response to be sent to TOIT Steering Committee (and Randy Oldham)
  • Gohar Ashoughian will send an email to TUGSTAFF re: TUG Committees & Governance
  • TUG Exec will ask the TOIT Steering Committee to explore the TUG Cataloguing Policy. It was suggested that Cataloguing start by compiling inventory and the TOIT Steering Committee work with Cataloguing to find a resolution