08 - 03 - 2016 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Year: 
2016
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee March 8, 2016 9:00 am – 12:00 noon

University of Waterloo Library, Room 407

Present: Gohar Ashoughian, Gordon Bertrand, Pascal Calarco, Scott Gillies, Mark Haslett (Chair), Charlotte Innerd, Sharon Lamont, Lisa Maenpaa, Barb McDonald, Randy Oldham, Nancy Willing, Kevin Zavitz, Carolyn Vincent (Recorder)

TUG Projects: year-to-date status reports & updates, and projected 2016/17 budgets

TUG Annex – Kevin Zavitz

Overall, an end of year surplus is projected to be $24,839.

The City of Guelph has started charging us municipal property tax for the Annex because the land now generates revenue. The amount we pay is based on the standard commercial rate for the amount of land we lease to Guelph Infinity Nissan, rather than the entire complex.

Costs to security are greater than anticipated due to newly negotiated contracts and an increase in the frequency of patrols.

There were numerous expenditures for maintenance and repair of various air handlers, heaters, condenser units, electrical components, etc. Expenditures in this area are to be expected with a building of this type and age.

They continue to budget for the replacement of two overhead heating units due to the age of the units.

Action: Kevin will include a new column for the 2016/17 projected budget for the Annex on the spreadsheet provided and send to TUG Exec for review.

Statistics and Reports – Pascal Calarco

The TUG Statistics and Reports Group (TSR) continued work on its core initiatives during 2015 for the implementation of Cognos 10.

Work continues moving through the Impromptu Reports, however, they still have a number to go through due to staff changes. Jenny Hirst is going on maternity leave and Jonathan Sutherland will replace her during this time.

Microsoft Business Intelligence is a tool of interest and TSR is investigating the feasibility of migrating to this for cube-based reporting and function.

It is too early to tell if someone will be sent to the IBM Insight conference, however, a decision will be made late summer/early fall.

TUG Exec approved the budget in principle with the understanding the credits may not be fully used.

TRELLIS & Primo – Randy Oldham

It is projected that it will be business as usual with some possible additional costs for training.

Charles Woods retired in December and Graham Faulkner (Digital Initiatives at Waterloo) stepped in as acting administrator for Primo and Voyager. Cost sharing will be done for Charles’ position until the end of December, 2015. Randy and Graham’s positions will be put aside in the cost-sharing process for this year.

The largest project for TUG Primo this year was upgrading from Primo 4.6 to Primo 4.9 and the migration of the Primo software and database from library servers to Waterloo Information Systems & Technology (IST).

There is no end of life for Voyager as a system and products will continue to be developed. The most significant Voyager activity in 2015 was the upgrade of the software from 8.2.1 to 9.1.1 in August.

The classic TRELLIS OPAC was decommissioned in 2015.

TUG Exec agreed that TUG will cost share for three people to attend ELUNA (one from each institution). Each institution will pay for others to attend.

Action: Randy will get a price on things that may be needed for Voyager and pricing for Alma (just for consideration).

TUG Annex Annual Space Reporting Documents – Scott Gillies

All remaining unused space has been allocated.

The flow rate will be used this year and TUG Exec will consider unused space modelling and will adjust for next year.

TUG Exec will further discuss new shelving and how it will be cost shared.

Action: Scott will send TUG Exec the square footage measurement for the Annex for the current fiscal to be used for cost sharing.

TUG IR Update – Charlotte Innerd

The Print Monograph Management Project (PMMP) has resulted in approximately 238,00 books for withdrawal from the TUG collection.

Mark, on behalf of TUG Exec, thanked TUG IR for their work on the PMMP.

Report with Recommendations on TUG Committees - Barb McDonald

Barb presented a report with recommendations on TUG infrastructure and committees. The TUG Operations Infrastructure Team (TOIT) is proposed to revitalise TUG governance. Under the direction of the TUG Operations Coordinator, TOIT is responsible for the management, support, development and integration of the systems and interfaces which comprise the services offered by the Tri-University Group of Libraries. TOIT would report to the TOIT Steering Committee, which still has to be populated. The TOIT Steering Committee would report to TUG Exec.

Action: Barb will inform TUG staff that Randy Oldham (UG) has been appointed TUG Operations Coordinator (formerly “Trellis Operations Manager”).

The AULs will meet to finalize/move on the recommendations in the Report before the next TUG Exec meeting in June.

Review and Approval of the Minutes of July 3, 2015

The minutes were approved as written.

Business Arising

#3 OCUL OLRC Initiative and TUG Node

TUG Exec agreed that the TOIT Steering Committee could discuss further.

Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

Action item Summary

  • Kevin - Include a new column for the 2016/2017 projected budget for the Annex on the spreadsheet provided and send to TUG Exec for review
  • Randy - Get pricing on things that may be needed for Voyager and pricing for Alma (just for consideration)
  • Scott -  Send TUG Exec the square footage measurement for the Annex for the current fiscal to be used for cost sharing
  • Barb - Inform TUG Staff that Randy Oldham (UG) has been appointed TUG Operations Coordinator (formely "Trellis Operations Manager")
  • The AULs will meet to finalise/move on the recommendations in the Report before the next TUG Exec meeting in June.