20 - 01 - 2015 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Year: 
2015
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

January 20, 2015

9:00 am – 12:00 pm

Wilfrid Laurier University, Library Instruction Room, L3-314

 

Present:  Gohar Ashoughian (Chair), Gordon Bertrand, Pascal Calarco, Amanda Etches, Wayne Johnston, Carolyn Vincent (recorder)

Regrets: Rebecca Graham, Mark Haslett

  1. Review and approval of the minutes of September 25, 2014

The minutes were approved as written.

  1. Business Arising

Status of TDR

Action: Amanda will send details to TUG Exec regarding the status of TDR.

Primo and Voyager

Action:

Pascal will check with Charles Woods to ensure that if there are more Primo and Voyager updates, they are communicated to TUG Exec.

Mark will send an email to TUG Staff on behalf of TUG Exec thanking all those involved following the Spring/Summer Primo upgrades.

  1. OCUL OLRC Initiative and TUG Node

Wayne Johnston at Guelph has been working on recruitment of data for testing the OLRC through the Winter and Spring.  He has also been coordinating similar processes at Laurier and Waterloo.  We have about 7TB for each institution.

Alan Darnell, Director, Scholars Portal Services, provided some guidance for testing, suggesting that we get as representative a sample of data as possible.  Strategies for this include performance characteristics of containers with many millions of small files versus those with smaller numbers of very large files. 

The OLRC Steering Committee teleconference meeting on January 19 confirmed the five nodes around the province – Guelph, Ottawa, Queens, Toronto, York. We were also asked to think of interested faculty on our campuses who are involved with text mining.  OCUL is putting together an advisory body around this topic.

 

Identified data at Guelph includes:

  • Archives and Special Collections can provide a number of collections of locally-digitized images and a collection of audio recordings
  • Data that has been submitted for their data repository
  • The International Institute for Critical Studies in Improvisation has a large video collection that they are willing to contribute for testing purposes
  • A couple of researchers have samples of very large files in the range of 200GB to 500GB

Gordon Bertrand at Laurier has been working with colleagues to identify data:

  • The Cord (Student Newspaper) - 1,904 PDF files totalling 8.73 GB
  • Digital Collections (Master Files) Option A: All of their “master files” for the Digital Collection. This totals 97,799 files for a total of 694 GB
  • Collections (Master Files) Option B: A group of scanned images. 4,525 TIFF files for a total of 183 GB

Pascal Calarco at Waterloo is also recruiting data:, , , and another 100 GB of files of various types from our University Archives.

  • ~3 TB of GIS files of various sizes
  • about 6500 Electronic Theses & Dissertations in PDF format
  • 350 GB of images from Special Collections
  • another 100 GB of files of various types from the UW University Archives

Action: Wayne will compile information into a report from a survey of partners regarding the OCUL OLRC Initiative and send to TUG Exec.

  1. Review of TUG Project Leader Updates

Written mid-year updates from the project leaders were provided for review by TUG Exec. The updates were accepted and filed as presented at the TUG Exec meeting. It was agreed that it would not be necessary to invite the project leaders to an in-person meeting to discuss the updates.

Pascal reported that Ex Libris has been more attentive to support issues over the last year.

TSR is concerned about support regarding licensing at Laurier and Guelph. Computing units at those sites are concerned with the number of “consumer” licenses that the libraries are asking for, and want the libraries to reduce them.

Action: Pascal will investigate the TSR licensing issues and report back to TUG Exec.

Carolyn will send out the cost-sharing timeline to project leaders and financial contacts in early March.

  1. PMMP Initiative

TUG IR provided an update on the PMMP project process. The report was accepted and filed as presented at the TUG Exec meeting.

  1. TUG Organization Committees Review

It was agreed that TUG Exec needs to have a longer discussion about this in order to assess possible organizational structures for TUG moving forward. This was deferred to the next TUG Exec meeting.

Action: Carolyn will put the TUG Organization Committees Review on the agenda for the next TUG Exec meeting.

  1. TUG Conference

This was deferred to a future meeting.

Action: TUG Exec will have an online discussion to identify a timeline and possible date for the TUG conference.

  1. Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

  1. Next Meeting

Carolyn will schedule a meeting in March.

 

Action Item

Who

Pascal will check with Charles Woods to ensure that if there are more Primo and Voyager updates, they are communicated to TUG Exec.

Pascal

Mark will send an email to TUG Staff on behalf of TUG Exec thanking all those involved following the Spring/Summer Primo upgrades.

Mark

Wayne will compile information into a report from a survey of partners regarding the OCUL OLRC Initiative and send to TUG Exec.

Wayne

Pascal will investigate the TSR licensing issues and report back to TUG Exec.

Pascal

Carolyn will send out the cost-sharing timeline to project leaders and financial contacts in early March.

Carolyn

Carolyn will put the TUG Organization Committees Review on the agenda for the next TUG Exec meeting.

Carolyn

TUG Exec will have an online discussion to identify a timeline and possible date for the TUG conference.

TUG Exec