31 - 10 - 2013 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Year: 
2013
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

October 31, 2013

10:00 am – 12:00 pm

University of Guelph, McLaughlin Library, 3rd Floor, Room 351

Present:

  • Gohar Ashoughian
  • Kelly Bertrand
  • Pascal Calarco
  • Rebecca Graham
  • Jennifer Haas
  • Mark Haslett
  • Jill Vigers
  • Carolyn Vincent (recorder)
  • Kevin Zavitz

1. PMPP Project Update – Jennifer Haas

Jennifer provided TUG Exec with the TUG IR update on the progress to date with the Print Monograph Management Project, including adapting expectations based on the higher than expected unique title holdings and circulations.

Next Steps:

  • TUG IR will plan a PMMP communication update/information session
  • TUG IR will work with the vendor (SCS) to finalize scenarios to identify low use, duplicate titles in TUG – in November 2013
  • SCS will create candidate lists – in December 2013
  • TUG IR will work on finalizing the withdrawal lists – in December 2013
  • TUG IR and SCS will work on the allocation formulas for withdrawals – by or before February 2014

Action:

  • TUG IR will bring an updated report to TUG Exec for the March meeting

2. TUG Cognos Migration – Pascal Calarco

Pascal provided an update on the TUG Cognos Migration for TUG Exec.

Next Steps:

  • Software will be installed on the server at Waterloo the week of November 3rd – 8th
  • A 3 day training course is planned for December or January. TUG could send six people to this
  • There will be a five-day course scheduled for mid-February
  • Reports will be reviewed – identify new reports, revisions and identify reports that could be done away with
  • Gail Sperling will get the latest on the Cognos 10 Suite at the Cognos conference she will be attending in early November
  • Over the next few weeks, a revised project plan will be developed with revised numbers on what is needed for training

Action:

  • Pascal will send a project update to TUG Exec later in November

3. (a) Annex Expansion Report - Kelly Bertrand and Jill Vigars

The U of G Library Master Space Planning Working Group decided that it should review and revisit the option of growing the capacity of the Annex offsite storage facility that is jointly owned by the TUG partners.

The study, completed by the WalterFedy Partnership, took into account the surplus land at the rear of the property to consider what would be involved in building a nearly 20,000 square foot addition to the existing 40,000 square foot facility which would house an estimated 550,000 (+/- 5%) in standard stacks and an expected cost of $3.8 M (escalation adjusted to 2015).

The capacity within the addition could be greater if we were to install stacks that are higher than those in the existing facility. There is the potential to increase capacity by approximately 27% or another 145,000 volumes with only a marginal increase in costs for more expensive stacks and ladders.

3. (b) Annex Budget Update - Kevin Zavits

Kevin Zavitz, Manager, Library Finance & Payroll Administration at Guelph, provided a report on TUG Annex 2012/13 results and the 2013/14 budget.

  • Personnel costs were lower than budgeted
  • Lower than budgeted expenditures were incurred for all subsections of general expenses, with the exception of the costs incurred by the operation and maintenance of the TUG van
  • Shelving for Bay 2 was not purchased in 2012/13
  • Weeding of monographs will continue into 2013/14 with a budget of $3,000
  • Total Annex expenses are forecasted at $364,273 for 2013/14

Action:

  • A larger ladder will be ordered to see how it works in the Annex
  • Kelly will provide a Master Space Plan report and update at the TUG Exec meeting in March
  • Scott Gillies will prepare an update to the earlier set of Annex projection documents as soon as possible

4. TUG Conference Report

The TUG Conference 2013 summary report was submitted to TUG Exec for review. TUG Exec is supportive of bringing people together but agreed that a TUG Conference will not take place in the Spring of 2014 due to timing issues.

  • Mark, on TUG Exec’s behalf, will thank the TUG Conference committee for coordinating the 2013 conference
  • Consideration of future TUG Conferences will be added to the agenda for the March meeting

5. Business Arising from Previous Meeting

The minutes from May 21, 2013 were approved as written.

Business Arising:

Laurier Public Services Review Update and TUG Implications:

  • Discussions are still continuing

Action

  • Gohar will send Rebecca and Mark an update in November. This will also be added to the March meeting agenda

TUG Website – Status and Maintenance

  • A first draft of the revamped master website has been completed and a second draft is in the works
  • Thanks were conveyed to Randy Oldham and his working group

6. OCUL Cloud Project

The OCUL Cloud project was briefly discussed.

7. Next Meeting

  • TUG Exec will touch base in mid-January via a conference call. [meeting now confirmed for: Thursday, January 23, 2014, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm at UW]
  • A TUG Exec meeting will be held in March at Waterloo. [now confirmed for: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm at WLU]

 

 

Action Item Who
TUG will bring an updated PMPP report to TUG Exec for the March meeting. Jennifer Hass
Pascal will send a TUG Cognos migration project update to TUG Exec later in November. Pascal Calarco
A larger ladder will be ordered to see how it works in the Annex. Annex Staff
Kelly will provide a Master Space Plan report and update the TUG Exec meeting in March. Kelly Bertrand
Scott Gillies will prepare an update to the earlier set of Annex projection documents as soon as possible. Scott Gillies
Mark, on TUG Exec's behalf, will thank the TUG Conference committee for coordinating the 2013 conference. Mark Haslett
Consideration of future TUG Conferences will be added to the agenda for the March meeting. TUG Exec
Gohar will send Rebecca and Mark a Laurier Public School Review update in November. This will also be added to the March meeting agenda. Gohar Ashoughian