25 - 09 - 2014 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, September 25, 2014
Year: 
2015
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

September 25, 2014

9:30 am – 12:00 pm

University of Waterloo, Dana Porter Library, Room 423

 

Present:  Gohar Ashoughian, Amanda Etches, Mark Haslett (Chair), Carolyn Vincent (recorder)

Regrets: Rebecca Graham

  1. Review and approval of the minutes of June 12, 2014

The minutes were approved as written.

  1. Business Arising

TUG Lending Policy Changes

TUG Circ has recommended eliminating the community borrower fee for all externals along with introducing a minimum age requirement of age 18.

TUG Exec agreed, noting that this is good community outreach in that it provides free access to our print resources for all community members, including high school students free through their schools.

Action: Mark will let TUG Circ know that the TUG Lending Policy recommendations have been approved.

Primo Servers

See agenda item 3(b) below.

TDR Website

Action: Amanda will follow up with Rebecca regarding the status of the TDR website and will send further information regarding Nesstar for inclusion in the minutes.

Annex Space

            Action: Mark will draft a clarification document regarding Annex space.

            TUG Conference

TUG Exec agreed that there are too many unknowns at this time to confirm a date for a TUG Conference. The earliest that the TUG Conference could take place would be the Fall of 2015. At a minimum, some kind of recognition should be held for TUG’s 20th anniversary in 2015/2016.

Action: TUG Exec will continue further discussions regarding the logistics and timing of a TUG Conference.

  1. Primo
  1. Primo Upgrade

TUG Exec reviewed a report from Alison Hitchens indicating that the Primo upgrade went well. Issues still remain regarding Primo-Voyager communication but this is being monitored.

Action: Mark will send an email to TUG Staff on behalf of TUG Exec thanking all those involved in the Primo upgrade.

  1. Primo Servers

TUG Exec reviewed a report from Pascal Calarco on behalf of the Primo Group regarding Primo servers. This involves a local TUG implementation housed at Waterloo and implemented in partnership with Waterloo’s IST and addresses technical and financial issues.

Action:

Pascal will ask Andrew McAlorum, Head of Digital Initiatives, to take the lead to prepare a project charter with a specific implementation plan for the Primo servers.

Pascal will work with the TUG Primo group to prepare a document outlining costs for the Primo servers before the end of October.

TUG Exec will review both documents, confer by email or a conference call, and then make a final decision.

  1. Voyager 9 Upgrade

TUG Exec reviewed a document from Charles Woods outlining details regarding the Voyager 9 upgrade.

TUG Exec agreed in principle to proceed with the Voyager 9 upgrade.

Action: Charles will prepare in early November an update for TUG Exec on the status of planning and then by December 1 a proposed implementation plan and date for the Voyager 9 upgrade.

  1. Annex Space

See business arising above.

  1. TUG Organization Committees Review

TUG Exec agreed to have a longer discussion about this in order to assess possible organizational structures for TUG moving forward. TUG Exec suggested that IT people at each institution could continue engagement and talk as appropriate. AULs at each institution will be consulted for advice.

Action: Carolyn will put the TUG Organization Committees Review on the agenda for next in person meeting of TUG Exec.

  1. OCUL ODLRC Initiative and TUG Node

TUG Exec agreed that Guelph will host the TUG node.

Action: Rebecca (or delegate) will be the contact person about costs and other implementation details associated with the TUG node and will keep TUG Exec informed. Rebecca will contact OCUL ODLRC to let them know.

  1. PMMP & Better World Books

There was a discussion about the status of the project and local arrangements each TUG member has with Better World Books.

  1. TUG Preservation of Last Copy Agreement

TUG-IR provided an updated Appendix A to the TUG Preservation of Last Copy Agreement for TUG Exec approval. During the PMMP project, WLU Seminary items were inadvertently included on the list. Laurier Library does not technically own these items which was why they should have been excluded. The reason for the alteration to the Last Copy Agreement is for the Seminary items that are going to be marked for retention. This amendment covers those PMMP retention copies and places them under the last copy agreement.

TUG Exec approved the updated document.

Action: Gohar will inform Charlotte Innerd (TUG-IR) of TUG Exec’s approval of the updated Appendix A to the TUG Preservation of Last Copy Agreement.

  1. Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

  1. Next Meeting

Carolyn will schedule a meeting before the end of the calendar year. In the interim, various matters will be dealt with via email or if necessary by conference call.

 

 

 

 

 

Action Item

Who

Mark will let TUG Circ know that the TUG Lending Policy recommendations have been approved.

Mark

Amanda will follow up with Rebecca regarding the status of the TDR website and will send further information regarding Nesstar for inclusion in the minutes.

Amanda

Mark will draft a clarification document regarding Annex space.

Mark

TUG Exec will continue further discussions regarding the logistics and timing of a TUG Conference.

TUG Exec

Mark will send an email to TUG Staff on behalf of TUG Exec thanking all those involved in the Primo upgrade.

Mark

Pascal will ask Andrew McAlorum, Head of Digital Initiatives, to take the lead to prepare a project charter with a specific implementation plan for the Primo servers.

Pascal will work with the TUG Primo group to prepare a document outlining costs for the Primo servers before the end of October.

TUG Exec will review both documents, confer by email or a conference call, and then make a final decision.

Pascal

Charles will prepare in early November an update for TUG Exec on the status of planning and then by December 1 a proposed implementation plan and date for the Voyager 9 upgrade.

Charles

Carolyn will put the TUG Organization Committees Review on the agenda for next in-person meeting of TUG Exec.

Carolyn

Rebecca (or delegate) will be the contact person about costs and other implementation details associated with the TUG node and will keep TUG Exec informed. Rebecca will contact OCUL ODLRC to let them know.

Rebecca

Gohar will inform Charlotte Innerd (TUG-IR) of TUG Exec’s approval of the updated Appendix A to the TUG Preservation of Last Copy Agreement.

Gohar