12 - 06 - 2014 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Year: 
2014
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

June 12, 2014

9:00 am – 12:00 pm

University of Guelph Library, Room 351

 

Present:  Gohar Ashoughian, Michelle Edwards, Rebecca Graham (chair), Mark Haslett, Alison Hitchens, Sharon Lamont, Andrew McAlorum, Alex McCulloch, Nancy Willing, Charles Woods, Kevin Zavitz, Carolyn Vincent (recorder)

Regrets: Annette Dandyk

TUG Projects and Cost Share Reports Review

TUG Annex – Kevin Zavitz

The proposed budget comes to $416,964. A significant portion of the increase is due to the termination of the parking lot lease. This results in a loss of $16,500 in revenues in fiscal year 2014/15.

[The budget was subsequently approved as provided.]

TDR – Michelle Edwards

The Nesstar License is in place until October. Nesstar will be shut down and discussions are taking place to look at alternatives to Nesstar post-October. (See 5 (b) below.)

Statistics and Reports (TSR) – Andrew McAlorum

Statistics and Reports are looking for approval for the training and development budget. $4200 of unused credits were used in mid-May by three analysts from the three TUG institutions for the Advanced Report Studio course training. $1800 in unused credits remain.

TSR is looking at developing basic and advanced Cognos courses.

Three spots have been set aside for the IBM Cognos Transformer training.

[The proposed budget and the use of remaining funds in support of the Cognos Training and Custom Environment plans were subsequently approved.]

TRELLIS & Primo – Charles Woods/Alison Hitchens

The Ex Libris education expense has been dropped due to the courses not being utilized.

A healthy contingent of TUG staff attended ELUNA this year.

Charles informed TUG Exec that he will be retiring as of October 2015. TUG Exec thanked Charles for his many years of excellent work on the TRELLIS Operational Management Group (TOMG).

TUGBARS – Sharon Lamont

Sharon Lamont, Nancy Willing and Kevin Zavitz are working on determining if we should be cost-sharing TUGBARS. They will bring something to TUG Exec within the next six months.

Action: Sharon Lamont, Nancy Willing and Kevin Zavitz will bring a document regarding the cost-sharing of TUGBARS to TUG Exec within the next six months.

TUG Lending Policy Changes – Alex McCulloch

The following TUG Lending changes were proposed:

  • All TUG periodicals circulate for two week loans to TUG faculty, students and staff with unlimited renewals.
  • Eliminate the annual community borrower fee for those 65 and over.
  • Change the timing of overdue notices to 6 days and 30 days. Create a new Cognos notice to be sent at 50 days.

Action: Alex will provide numbers related to the possibility of removing community fees not only for seniors age 65 and over, but also for all community borrowers.

TRELLIS New Libs and Pick-up Sites – Alex McCulloch

The guiding principle is that a new TUG participant in the TRELLIS Library system adds value to the database and to TUG library services. New participants are incorporated into the system under the sponsorship and project management of the University of Guelph, the University of Waterloo or the Wilfrid Laurier University Library. Costing arrangements are negotiated directly with the sponsoring library.

The recommendation was to add the Stratford campus to the TRELLIS Library system.

Pending updated documents, TUG Exec approved the proposed addition to the TRELLIS new libraries and pick up sites.

Action: Alex will incorporate suggested changes within the TRELLIS New Libs and Pick-up Sites document.

TUG Executive Matters

Review and approval of the minutes of March 27, 2014

The minutes were approved as written.

Topics for discussion

Primo and TRELLIS servers (Pascal Calarco joined the meeting by conference call.)

Pascal Calarco informed TUG Exec that the recommendation is that TUG move to Ex Libris hosting for Primo, on the condition that Cognos connections for query and reporting are available.

Regarding TRELLIS, Pascal noted that there is no compelling reason to make a change at this time.

Next Steps:

Primo

  • Pascal to determine best arrangements to continue local hosting of Primo (within TUG) so that the Primo 4.6 upgrade can proceed this summer. A discussion with IST at Waterloo would be beneficial to get the best scenario.
  • TUG Exec approved moving ahead with the 4.6 upgrade this summer.

TRELLIS

  • We will maintain the status quo for TRELLIS for the immediate future but a discussion regarding its management will need to take place, particularly in light of the retirement of Charles Woods in October 2015.

Action: Pascal will provide TUG Exec further information on the Primo servers and Primo upgrade if possible by late June/early July.

TDR Website

TDR has requested funding to get the TDR website AODA compliant.

Action: In lieu of approving the funding request for an update to the TDR website, Rebecca will ask Michelle Edwards to work with Randy Oldham on the potential for incorporating the TDR website with the new TUG website.

Annex Space

TUG Exec agreed in principle that the 40/35/25 formula should be used for the remaining free space in the Annex. TUG IR will be asked to provide an updated Annex space projections document, together with any other observations they may have.

Action: Mark will prepare a longer explanatory note on the Annex space request and will send it to Charlotte Innerd (TUG IR Chair), asking her to consult with TUG IR and Annex staff at Guelph.

TUG Conference and TUG 20th Anniversary in 2015

TUG Exec agreed that a TUG Conference could be held in 2015 in celebration of the TUG 20th anniversary, but early Fall is likely the earliest date possible.

Next steps:

  • Look for opportunity in late September/early October 2015
  • Check to see the availability of the Balsillie Centre

Action: Carolyn will check with contacts at the three TUG institutions for dates for a TUG Conference and check to see if the Balsillie Centre is available.

TUG Organization Committees Review

TUG Exec briefly discussed the document and agreed that at this stage it is perhaps best to consider immediate to mid-term changes possible.

Action: Mark agreed to review the TUG Organization Committees Review document and prepare a brief discussion document for TUG Exec.

OCUL ODLRC Initiative and TUG Node

TUG Exec agreed in principle that it would make sense to have a node hosted at Guelph. An OCUL conference call is taking place on Monday and TUG Exec will continue discussions based on the outcome of that call.

Business Arising

There was no business arising.

Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

 

 

Action Item

Who

Sharon Lamont, Nancy Willing and Kevin Zavitz will bring a document regarding the cost-sharing of TUGBARS to TUG Exec within the next six months.

Sharon, Nancy, Kevin

Alex will provide numbers related to the possibility of removing community fees not only for seniors age 65 and over, but also for all community borrowers.

Alex

Alex will incorporate suggested changes within the TRELLIS New Libs and Pick-up Sites document.

Alex

Pascal will provide TUG Exec further information on the Primo servers and Primo upgrade if possible by late June/early July.

Pascal

In lieu of approving the funding request for an update to the TDR website, Rebecca will ask Michelle Edwards to work with Randy Oldham on the potential for incorporating the TDR website with the new TUG website.

Rebecca

Mark will prepare a longer explanatory note on the Annex space request and will send it to Charlotte Innerd (TUG IR Chair), asking her to consult with TUG IR and Annex staff at Guelph.

Mark

Carolyn will check with contacts at the three TUG institutions for dates for a TUG Conference and check to see if the Balsillie Centre is available.

Carolyn

Mark agreed to review the TUG Organization Committees Review document and prepare a brief discussion document for TUG Exec.

Mark