27 - 03 - 2014 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Year: 
2014
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

March 27, 2014

9:00 am – 12:00 pm

Wilfrid Laurier University, Library Instruction Room, L3-314

 

Present:  Gohar Ashoughian, Pascal Calarco, Annette Dandyk, Michelle Edwards, Vera Fesnak, Scott Gillies, Rebecca Graham, Jingjun Ha, Jennifer Haas, Bill Halahan, Mark Haslett, Alison Hitchens, Charlotte Innerd, Kathy MacDonald, Dillon Moore, Gail Sperling, Carolyn Vincent (recorder), Nancy Willing, Charles Woods, Kevin Zavitz

Guests: Ted Bleaney, Martha Hook McGregor, Dave Wallace

Regrets: Sharon Lamont, Andrew McAlorum

  1. Welcome and Introductions

Around the table introductions were made.

  1. Approval of Agenda

The agenda was approved as written.

  1. Approval of Minutes of Jan. 23, 2014 & Business Arising

The minutes were approved as written.

Business Arising:

TUG Primo Add-on Proposal

Additional information regarding the costs for the TUG Primo Add-on was submitted for approval. The cost will not exceed $4,800.

TUG Exec approved the proposal.

  1. TRELLIS & Primo

TRELLIS

Charles Woods provided an update on TUG Voyager.

Similar to the Primo upgrade, the Voyager 8.2 upgrade in 2013 had several difficulties with upgrade software. Voyager 9 is now available, however, there is not yet enough information to begin an assessment of its potential impact with regards to functionality or an implementation timeline. Current planning anticipates the implementation of the Tomcat version of Webvoyage in late April of 2014.

ELUNA 2014 will be held in Montreal and will provide an opportunity to scout future options for TUG.

Charles noted that Martin Timmerman of UW IST will retire at the end of March, 2014 and his services will be missed.

Primo

Alison Hitchens provided an update on TUG Primo for 2013.

Maintaining the stability of Primo-TRELLIS interoperability on production was achieved by scheduling twice hourly restarts of the tomcat servers and making adjustments to the vprimo set-up to improve system response. The memory on all of our Primo servers was recently upgraded.

One of the hesitations around upgrading to a new version of Primo was a lack of or slow response from Ex Libris support. Pascal Calarco, who is also a member of the ELUNA Steering Committee, sent a letter on behalf of TUG Primo to the Yoav Eder, the director of North America Support, expressing our concerns. Support is now working more closely on our cases and also working towards a service level agreement with customers around support expectations.

The main focus for the first half of 2014 is planning, testing and implementing an upgrade of the production server to version 4.5 or 4.6 (depending on the release date of 4.6).

Action:

(a)    TUG Primo is preparing a project plan for a possible August upgrade for TUG Exec for the June meeting.

(b)   Based upon an analysis of costs of different approaches, Pascal Calarco recommended that we don’t externally host Primo and TRELLIS servers, but rather that we keep it in house for now. He will provide TUG Exec with a detailed analysis of recommendations and projections for the June meeting.

(c)    Mark Haslett will send Martin Timmerman a note of thanks, on behalf of TUG Exec, for his service.

  1. TUG Cognos Project Update and Joint PIF Project

Martha Hook McGregor, WLU Director, Institutional Strategy and Analytics, provided an update on the WLU/UW PIF Project.

Key activities:

·         A conference took place on March 24, 2014 – shared best practices

·         Website RFQ

·         University and College analytics project – survey and gather info/research on other organizations and institutions

·         Template Project – deliver 10-15 best practices report mockings tailored to post-secondary institutions.

Dave Wallace, CIO, UW, provided a TUG Cognos Project update.

Accomplishments so far:

·         Acquired and installed Cognos 10

·         Architectural design established

·         Proof of concept

·         Training for core work group

Phase 1: Library Pilot

·         Now analyze reports and not just recreate reports

·         Identified current reporting

·         Will provide update as Phase 1 ends to determine what has been learned so far

·         Another update will be done at the end of Phase 2 with perhaps a workshop at the beginning of Phase 3

  1. TUG TSR (Statistics and Reports)

Vera Fesnak provided a Cognos 10 Library Pilot and Project timeline and noted that the timelines are estimated at this point but will be turned into definite dates as the project progresses.

As we progress through report testing there will be many test users but we expect that sign-off for putting a report into production will involve approval from one person from each institution.

Gail Sperling noted that security definitions are needed before going into production. She would like to thank IST at UW and NewComp for their support.

As outlined in the TSR budget documents, training has been undertaken in this fiscal year. In addition to attending technical IBM Cognos 10 training courses the staff have also continued to undertake free and local webinars, training sessions or user days available through IBM Cognos and their resellers.

  1. TDR

Michelle Edwards provided a TDR report. She noted that things have been very q     uiet since the onset of Odyssey.

The TDR website is at least 10 years old and is not AODA compliant. Michelle provided a project brief for TUG Exec’s consideration. They propose to move to a Drupal platform at U of G with conversion costing $2000 and an annual $400 maintenance fee.

 

Action:

TUG Exec will consider further the request for funding for the TDR website.

  1. Annex

    1. Budgets

Kevin Zavitz provided a budget overview for the Annex.

Total Annex expenses are forecasted at $348,038 with a favorable variance forecast of $36,404.

Overall, the proposed budget for 2014/15 is comprised of total expenses for $413,716. A significant portion of the increase is due to the termination of the parking lot lease. This results in a loss of $16,500 in revenues in fiscal year 2014/15.

Kelly Bertrand, Director, Organizational Services at U of G has feelers out regarding Nissan leaving and a possible replacement and will keep TUG Exec updated.

  1. Space Projections and Related Issues

Scott Gillies reported that around August 1, 2014, Annex staff will be reporting to his team and not Donna Sartori.

TUG Annex staff conducted a complete space measurement of the Annex collections space in June 2013. Measurements provide an accurate picture of all occupied and free space down to the shelf level for both Annex bays.

Based on the current maximum annual flow rate of 30,000 volumes per year, the Annex has sufficient capacity left for approximately 3.1 – 3.8 years of growth in aggregate.

Planning for upcoming collection management projects at the Annex continues, in particular the Print Monograph Management Project (PMMP) and the next instalment of the JSTOR Last Print Copy project.

The past year has seen a number of incidents related to building maintenance occur at the Annex, specifically roof leaks on November 25th and February 7th. There was no notable damage to the collections. A number of onsite inspections of the Annex are scheduled for the upcoming year to address these issues.

A document was put forward by the TUG IR committee to TUG Exec outlining three possible scenarios for allocating and managing the remaining Annex collections free space.

Action:

TUG Exec will review the document on allocation of free space and provide direction to the TUG IR committee and staff involved with Annex management to ensure the most effective and efficient use of the remaining Annex space. It was agreed that more information is needed before a decision can be made in June.

  1. TUG IR

TUG IR continues to work with SCS to move forward with the Print Monograph Management Project. TUG IR is waiting for SCS to generate the retention and withdrawal lists for TUG.

TUG Print Monograph Management Project (PMMP) Material Disposal Proposal

A proposal was submitted to TUG Exec describing the TUG IR committee’s process for determining how materials withdrawn from the PMMP project will be disposed. The proposal includes assessment criteria that will assist in determining how materials will be disposed of after being removed from the collection and de-accessioned.

The TUG IR committee outlined three options to dispose of withdrawn materials.

Action:

TUG IR will finalize plans related to the disposal of items identified for withdrawal under PMMP as permitted by University policies at each TUG institution.  This includes making arrangements with the vendor who will undertake this work on behalf of TUG and communicating the PMMP disposal vendor selection rationale to possible interested parties in the community.

TUG IR/TUG CAT PMMP Staffing Proposal

The TUG IR and TUG Cataloguing Committees have met to discuss the timelines and project parameters for the TUG PMMP projects. Based on provisional assessments, it is anticipated that there will be a significant amount of cataloguing maintenance work required, including manually editing MARC records.

The committees proposed that a contract position be created to provide support for the cataloguing maintenance work. The duration would be a minimum of 4 months but optimally for a period of 8 months to assist with data management work.

Action:

TUG Exec will consider the TUG IR/TUG CAT PMMP staffing proposal and report back. Mark will confirm the exact amount for the staffing proposal.

TUG Exec matters

  1. Around the Table Updates

There were no around the table updates.

  1. Next Meeting: June 12, 2014, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, University of Guelph

 

  1. TUG Conference and TUG 20th Anniversary in February 2015

This was deferred to a future meeting.

  1. Future meetings and agenda

TUG Exec agreed that more time needs to be devoted to TUG Exec matters at the June meeting.

 

Action Item

Who

TUG Primo is preparing a project plan for a possible August upgrade for TUG Exec for the June meeting.

Alison Hitchens

Based upon an analysis of costs of different approaches, Pascal Calarco recommended that we don’t externally host Primo and TRELLIS servers, but rather that we keep it in house for now. He will provide TUG Exec with a detailed analysis of recommendations and projections for the June meeting.

Pascal Calarco

Mark Haslett will send Martin Timmerman a note of thanks, on behalf of TUG Exec, for his service.

Mark Haslett

TUG Exec will consider further the request for funding for the TDR website.

TUG Exec

TUG Exec will review the document on allocation of free space and provide direction to the TUG IR committee and staff involved with Annex management to ensure the most effective and efficient use of the remaining Annex space. It was agreed that more information is needed before a decision can be made in June.

TUG Exec

TUG IR will finalize plans related to the disposal of items identified for withdrawal under PMMP as permitted by University policies at each TUG institution.  This includes making arrangements with the vendor who will undertake this work on behalf of TUG and communicating the PMMP disposal vendor selection rationale to possible interested parties in the community.

TUG IR

TUG Exec will consider the TUG IR/TUG CAT PMMP staffing proposal and report back. Mark will confirm the exact amount for the staffing proposal.

TUG Exec