23 - 01 - 2014 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Year: 
2014
Meeting Minutes: 

TUG Executive Committee

January 23, 2014

9:00 am – 12:00 pm

University of Waterloo, Dana Porter Library, LIB 423

 

Present:  Gohar Ashoughian, Rebecca Graham, Mark Haslett, Carolyn Vincent (recorder)

  1. Approval of Minutes of Oct. 31, 2013 & Business Arising

The minutes were approved as written.

Action:

·         Rebecca will follow up with Scott Gillies re the Annex projection documents.

  1. Cognos EBI Project - Update

A brief summary document, prepared by Pascal Calarco and Gail Sperling on the “TUG Enterprise Business Intelligence (EBI) Migration Project”, which provided an outline of activity to date as well as upcoming milestones was reviewed.

$20,000 (TUG cost shared) has been set aside for training. TUG’s three “reports specialists” have already taken the “Framework Manager” training (one week @ $3500 per seat) and are scheduled to take in February the “Report Studio Fundamentals” (3 days @ $2100 per seat) and “Report Studio Advanced” (2 days @ $1400 per seat) courses.  TUG expenditures to date once the February training is completed is $14,000 (Gail Sperling’s training costs have been covered under the umbrella of the overarching Waterloo EBI initiative.)

TUG Exec agreed to review further training needs once the above training has taken place.

TUG TSR drafted a kick-off message for TUG Exec to send to TUG staff.  The draft will be further reviewed with the intent that an email could be sent out to TUG Staff as soon as possible.

The first meeting for the WLU led Cognos PIF project is being held on January 28th.  Gohar will report back on the status of the project.

Actions:

Rebecca will send a note to Pascal for clarification on the additional costs to send an additional University of Guelph staff member to the “Report Studio Advanced” course.

Dave Wallace (CIO, Waterloo) will be invited to meet with TUG Exec members, at the March meeting if possible.

The draft kick-off email prepared by the TSR group will be further revised and then run by the group before TUG Exec sends something out to all TUG staff.

Gohar will keep TUG Exec posted on the PIF project.

  1. TRELLIS & Primo Matters

a)      TRELLIS & Primo Upgrades

The document “Process for Voyager & Primo Upgrades” prepared by Alison Hitchens and Charles Woods was reviewed.  TUG Exec agreed that the proposed revised procedures should be implemented effective immediately.

Action:

Mark will convey this information on TUG Exec’s behalf to Alison Hitchens and Charles Woods.

b)      TOMCAT “Upgrade”

A document prepared by Charles Woods (TOMG chair) in consultation with Randy Oldham and Alison Hitchens on “Recommendations Regarding Implementation of TOMCAT Version of Webvoyage” was reviewed.  The report recommends the implementation of the TOMCAT version of Webvoyage on Thursday, April 24th.

TUG Exec supports the recommendation on the understanding that the following occurs first:

i)        Confirmation of “central login” at Guelph will be in place

ii)       Each member of TUG Exec will do final due diligence at their institution

Action:

Rebecca will ask Randy Oldham for clarification and confirmation on (i) above and report back to TUG Exec before a final decision is made.

Each member of TUG Exec will do due diligence at their institution.

c)      TUG Primo Add-on Proposal

TUG Circ submitted a document, “Proposal for funding: Primo Add-on for Ares”, prepared by Heather Martin, Sam Gibbon and Vera Fesnak to secure funding for the development of a TUG Primo Add-on by Atlas Systems.

Action:

TUG Exec will ask TUG Circ for a one page document outlining final proposed costs and providing clarification on the issue of proprietary data.

TUG Exec will consider this request further at the March meeting.

 

 

d)      Jan. 13, 2014 Letter from Pascal Calarco to Yoav Eder, Ex Libris

TUG Exec reviewed a response from Yoav Eder as well as Alison Hitchens’ subsequent response to Mr. Eder.  TUG Exec discussed the matter of “service level agreements” (SLAs) and agreed that having such an agreement in place would be beneficial for all sides.  Alison will be asked to pursue this discussion if it is not raised by Mr. Eder.

e)      TUG Primo Case Study

TUG Exec will extend appreciation to those who have drafted the case study document, and will ask that it include an appropriate quote from each institution and that any images used reflect that TUG is a collaboration of three institutions.

  1. TUG Web Site – Next Steps

Action:

Rebecca will ask Randy Oldham to facilitate the engagement of the communication officers at each institution to review the content and organization of the updated web site and to offer any feedback they may have before the site goes live.

Randy will also be asked identify if there are other specific “to dos” for TUG Exec.

  1. TDR Report

A report submitted by Michele Edwards on behalf of TUG TDR requesting the renewal of TDR’s vision and mandate was reviewed.

Action:

Mark will send a thank-you to Michelle Edwards, indicating that TUG Exec wants to consider this matter in the broader context of other TUG committees and related governance issues.

  1. Laurier Public Services Review

Gohar provided a report by Vera Fesnak which provided an update on the Laurier Public Services Review, particularly in the context of Laurier’s implementation of self-service holds and reserves beginning in the fall of 2013.

Action:

Gohar will ask TUG Circ to prepare for TUG Exec a brief update on the changes introduced, particularly outlining any outstanding issues if any.

  1. TUG and Government Documents, Consideration of Collaborative Opportunities

Deferred to a future meeting.

 

  1. Around the Table Updates

Informal around the table updates.

  1. Next Meetings

Thursday, March 27, 2014, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm at WLU

Thursday, June 12, 2014, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm at U of G

TUG Organization Committees Review, Feb 22, 2012 – Deferred to a future meeting.

Action Item

Who

Rebecca will follow up with Scott Gillies re the Annex projection documents.

Rebecca

Rebecca will send a note to Pascal for clarification on the additional costs to send an additional University of Guelph staff member to the “Report Studio Advanced” course.

Rebecca

Dave Wallace (CIO, Waterloo) will be invited to meet with TUG Exec members, at the March meeting if possible.

Gohar

The draft kick-off email prepared by the TSR group will be further revised and then run by the group before TUG Exec sends something out to all TUG staff.

Mark

Gohar will keep TUG Exec posted on the PIF project.

Gohar

Mark will convey to Alison Hitchens and Charles Woods on TUG Exec’s behalf that the recommendations in the “Process for Voyager & Primo Upgrades” document have been approved.

Mark

Rebecca will ask Randy Oldham for clarification and confirmation of “central login” at Guelph will be in place for the TOMCAT “Upgrade” and report back to TUG Exec before a final decision is made.

Rebecca

Each member of TUG Exec will do due diligence at their institution regarding the TOMCAT “Upgrade”.

TUG Exec

TUG Exec will ask TUG Circ for a one page document outlining final proposed costs and providing clarification on the issue of proprietary data.

Mark

Rebecca will ask Randy Oldham to facilitate the engagement of the communication officers at each institution to review the content and organization of the updated web site and to offer any feedback they may have before the site goes live.

Randy will also be asked identify if there are other specific “to dos” for TUG Exec.

Rebecca

Mark will send a thank-you to Michelle Edwards, indicating that TUG Exec wants to consider this matter in the broader context of other TUG committees and related governance issues.

Mark

Gohar will ask TUG Circ to prepare for TUG Exec a brief update on the changes introduced, particularly outlining any outstanding issues if any.

Gohar